Wednesday, March 10, 2010

LIFE FEELS… Laurie Jackson… 3-10-2010

I’m attempting to coin a phrase today and replace the old cliché's from the past, i.e.: the 70’s “Shit happens”, the 80’s “Life goes on” and the 90’s “whatever.” It seems “Life Feels” is appropriate for 2010.

Sometimes Life Feels: hard, frustrating, confusing, exhausting, satisfying, fulfilling, exciting, vibrant, fearful, disappointing, joyful, amazing and just plain beautiful! So I’m blogging to express this new cliché’… “Life Feels” ~

Life runs it’s course and fights for itself.

We can embrace life or choose to fight it. To quote Yoda, from Star Wars “Don’t think, Feel.” You can try and figure it out, go ahead, do what you gotta do. I think it’s a journey that will lead some to find Love, Faith and hope and unfortunately some to only see hopelessness. I’ve spoken to many homeless people and I will never forget a man named Sirus. He surprised me and taught me multitudes over just one meal. I left thinking, “wow, I didn’t know anything”. He seemed to know Love and He told me some amazing stories about helping so many people that he came across as a homeless man.” I was very inspired by Him.

Not only does Life Feel for us, but Life Feels for all those around us. The question’s I have for myself is: “Laurie, as you share in the feelings of others, can you see that there is typically a reason why people feel the way they do? Can you share in their feelings without judging them or even taking their feelings and making them your own? Can you just allow them to Feel Life and not assume they need to be fixed or that you need to fix them?”

I’ve found that Life is not lived in a box. Can we just choose the good feelings and ignore the bad or choose the bad and ignore the good? I know some mentally ill people that try to live Life this way. I know some very hopeless people that try to live this way and I know some very pretentious people that try to live this way.

I’m an Italian, female, musician so Life “Really” Feels… add PMS to that and I’ll let your imagination wander. ☹ ☺ ☹ ☺… etc…

We are not in charge of life itself. We’re not the creator of Life. We can only respond to Life and Life, Just Simply Feels!

How are you Feeling today? ☹ ☺

12 comments:

  1. I love your last line, Laurie..."We can only respond to Life..." I think I am at a similar point of introspection (maybe I should just speak for myself?), but I have had a strange relationship with "feelings". I have often seen them as an inconvenience. I am actually learning to "feel life". I think though I should spell that "Life", with a capital L. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Okay, so, what the heck does that mean? Sometimes I can grasp it, sometimes not so much. But, as I sort this out for myself, I am connecting some dots. Jesus is Life and what I am feeling (my emotional response to whatever) is Jesus' invitation to intimacy with Him. In the bible, there is a story about Jesus asking the woman at the well for a drink which she gives Him. But, then He says something like, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked Him and He would have given you living water." That never REALLY made sense to me until recently...okay so maybe I'm cherry picking here, but it makes sense to me when I am able to equate it to emotions ("feelings"). If I use my feelings as an invitation to seek relationship with Jesus (like responding to His request for a drink), what He gives me in return is Living Water (His Love response to me). Because I have "food issues" and am working on emotional eating, this story really hits home for me. In my case, I would eat/swallow my emotions (specifically anger/hurt) in an attempt not to feel it. Well, I'll leave my comment there for now. I'm sure I'll have more to say (and glean).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you babe. I love how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome stuff, Laurie!! It's nice to have an outlet for what on our hearts!!

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori,
    I love this blog. People who are VULNERABLE have allowed themselves to FEEL. To FEEL is to be alive! I FEEL pain when I lose a friendship. I FEEL joy when I gain a friendship. That means I am not numb. The price to pay for not being numb is FEELING. Numb people fake life. They do not want anyone to know how hurt they are and therefore they often cannot be healthy. It is worth it to be VULNERABLE because all the other wonderful feelings can then be enjoyed. We were never promised a perfect life, only that Life in Jesus would redeem our brokeness,satisfy the thirsty and the hungry, bring joy to those who mourn, and beauty to our ashes.

    It takes effort to stay vulnerable! :-)

    Melissa Saulnier
    Oikeo Music, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks so much for the comments you guys... I thought it would be amusing to join the fun of blogging too... I love what you said Melissa. It does take courage to be vulnerable and being vulnerable is the beginning of really feeling life... thanks again people.. we'll see if I ever actually write again.. I'm just flowing with the flow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, thank you so much for sharing your heart. I actually like your catch phrase even better... "Feel life"... it's like Feel coke.. :) lol but seriously... It is refreshing to hear others hearts... no matter what...the seemingly good feelings or the seemingly bad ones... Thanks for being so Real.. and for taking time to comment.. :) I love your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feelings nothing more than Feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie,
    This really spoke to me...for so long religion told me to stuff my feelings down in the name of "denying my flesh" and to pretend everything was ok. All the while, my heart became cold and empty, to the point of just feeling numb to life. It was truly the darkest time in my life.
    In the past few years as I have come to really know in the deepest part of my being how much God loves me, blemishes and all, I have begun to embrace me. "Life FEELS" and I finally feel ALIVE!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your heart...I am looking forward to your future writings:)

    Shannon Brown

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurie...thanks for stopping by my blog and the encouraging words! Very funny on the Julie & Julia, I'm sure you're right - bloggers unite! Yours also is great, keep it up! :) Rachel Irwin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon, thank you so much for your comment.. I'm not sure when I'll "feel" like writing again.. I have no pressure and if it stays enjoyable.. what I write will be better and more helpful I'm sure... yes, I so agree..to feel is simply a person who lives... woo hoo.. love walking and living this journey with people like you. thanks again.. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Rache... thanks for your comment and encouraging words. :) bloggers unite! love it.. Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete