Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Secretariat" my movie review... by Laurie Jackson


“SECRETARIAT” my movie review… by Laurie Jackson 10/23/2010

Watching the movie “Secretariat” was not just entertainment for me, it was therapeutic. I felt counseled by the wisdom of historical humanity.

I noticed three things, four if I include that the star looked like a splitting image of Mary Tyler Moore.

Because this was a true story, I valued the lessons of this journey and what I imparted from it. Firstly, I noticed she followed her intuition. When it “seemed” like she was wrong she chose to follow what was “right” in her heart. Love seemed to be at the root of this and not pride. Love for her father and belief in His wisdom.

Secondly, I really keyed in on how difficult it is to truly follow your heart. You don’t always get patted on the back. You don’t always “seem” to win right away. The only thing you have is the satisfaction that you felt you made the wisest and best choice you honestly discerned and for that you at least have no “deep” regret nagging at you.

Thirdly I could see that in this true story of a victorious person, like so many others, she was alone and isolated during her hardest season. People don’t want to support you when they don’t believe in you. They will celebrate later when there is evidence of your success. Most, even close family and friends, won’t back you up when your heart leads you to do something “different” or unconventional. All great leaders have this in common. Good leaders don’t need to use fear and manipulation to convince other people around them to agree with them. I believe it is because truly great leaders are motivated and empowered by Love.

I loved this story and I loved that she looked just like Mary Tyler Moore. This helped submerge my mind into the time and setting that the story actually took place.

The lady is still alive today and did a cameo in her movie; so don’t forget to stay for the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment